Monday, September 27, 2010

Why giving matters

Lately a lot of our class blogs (check out Kristina's) have been talking about the impact of open source on government and communities. Something that came to mind when I was thinking about this was the forum given last year by Arthur Brooks. It was one of the best forums I've ever heard as a BYU student and I wanted to put it up so others can listen to it. (Click here to watch it) The reason I thought of this forum is because it gives statistical evidence that giving more makes a person happier, and even wealthier. While we all know how to give of our time and possessions, talking about open source has made me think that even giving our creations, programs or ideas could be included in these statistics. Its an intriguing idea that giving more can make a person more prosperous. It goes against conventional thinking. That's why I loved this forum, it helps us understand something that we've believed in for a long time. Or if we didn't believe in it, we can see why we've been taught the importance of giving. Would our social system be more efficient if we all learned to give more? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think giving is super important. I think our economy, not even to say our culture, would drastically improve if people in general were more willing to give of their time.

    That being said, I think it has to be willing. If someone takes your money to give to someone else, technically your money has been given to someone less fortunate, but the direct consequences are drastically different...

    ReplyDelete