Thursday, September 2, 2010

The future of politics?

I love books. I like to read and like to read a lot of different things. As we've talked about the evolution of public literature and the development of  blogs, I thought back on the book Ender's Game that I had read a while ago. In the book Ender's brother and sister take on fake identities on public forums. Even though they are only kids, their anonymity and superior intelligences help them establish themselves as public leaders. Through the power they gain on these forums, they are able to shape the government system itself. Ender's brother Peter gains so much power through his essays and writings that he makes himself into what eventually becomes almost a dictator.

I don't think we would look at our own public writing as something that could change the world, but when our words reach the right people we have a power I don't think we can fully comprehend. How will we use this power?

1 comment:

  1. I vote that we should use our power to influence others to do good. We see throughout history that when dictators used there power for good, civilizations prospered. On the other hand, when used for selfish or evil purposes, there was always sudden growth but a fast destruction as well.

    ReplyDelete