Monday, September 6, 2010

Faults are fine

"Imagine! The great generosity of God! The happiness of man! To man it is allowed to be whatever he chooses to be!" -Pico Della Mirandola 
 


It fascinates me how early views of humanism differ so much from "secular humanism" now studied by so many. Ancient humanism presented a system of thought that studied the divine potential of man, while modern views have twisted that completely. How different it is when we look at life from the perspective that we were created  by a divine being. To be able to look around and know that we have so much potential, gives me hope and encouragement to strive to be better. While we have been created as the pinnacle of God's creations, we are not without flaws. Potential for divinity does not mean we are close, but within the journey we discover who we are.


I've trained myself as an athlete and many lessons that I have learned draw from those experiences. I'm sure throughout this blog I will make many references to sports and the things I have learned from them. One man that I admire is Coach John Wooden. To keep this post short I wont talk about the man as much as something I've learned from him. Wooden was a legendary basketball coach who taught as much about life as he did about basketball. He once said "I probably have all the same faults anyone has, and so do you. There's nothing wrong with that. Having faults means you're human; you're alive and breathing. There's nothing wrong with having faults so long as you work conscientiously to correct them. How hard you work at correcting your faults reveals your character." I believe this is the essence of humanism. God made us imperfect with the potential to become perfect. What are we doing with that potential?



3 comments:

  1. I also found this association quite ironic. It seems people have completely twisted the original meaning of a religious based movement to be equated with atheism. I think the term that I found used for this was secular humanism. I agree with your statement about potential. Our possiblities are so amazing and endless but we have to remember where that potential comes from otherwise we are going to fall far short of what we can become or may end up achieving things with no long term value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the part in the Oration on the Dignity of Man when Mirandola writes: "To man it is allowed to be whatever he chooses to be! As soon as an animal is born, it brings out of its mother's womb all that it will ever possess. Spiritual beings from the beginning become what they are to be for all eternity. Man, when he entered life, the Father gave the seeds of every kind and every way of life possible.
    Whatever seeds each man sows and cultivates will grow and bear him their proper fruit."
    We are what we choose to be, whatever we plant in our lives we will grow and become.
    This is so exciting because there are so many possibilities and the choices are ours.
    I guess then my question is- Is there something universal we should all develop in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that question Kristina. What is universal that we should all develop in our lives? I guess the principles that are part of the gospel of Jesus Christ are all attributes and things that would benefit everyone.

    ReplyDelete