Monday, September 13, 2010

Blog Searching

I'm pretty new to this whole world of blogging. I started this blog for my digital civilizations course at BYU and I've been learning a lot about this great tool. Last week I took on the task of learning about blog searching. Today I taught LeeAnn and Shuan what I learned and since we have the requirement to search out and post on blogs outside of our class, I realized this would probably be a helpful topic for anyone in the class, and anyone outside of the class who would like to find interesting blogs to read. A great post was made on this topic by our professors and I decided I would take it just a step further and see what I could learn.


The picture on the right is a tool that I found called BlogPulse. This site keeps an updated tally of all the most popular issues blogged about each day. You can see the popular topics, people, links, stories, videos and phrases blog about that day. Its a good tool if you want to get in on popular blogging issues.

Another great tool is Technorati. Since this was explained in the above blog post by our professors, I'll just say its an excellent way to find popular blogs on anything you're interested in.

The last tool I found that I really liked was IceRocket. This is almost like twitter for blogs. On this site you can enter a search term and it will show you the latest blogs that have posted on that term. This is great because you can find blogs that are actively posting on things you are interested in. That way you can find active blogs that you can comment on, and get feedback from instead of finding blogs that may not be updated very often. I spent a long time looking through blogs that people had created about some of my favorite hobbies. Its a great tool.

Another great thing to do is just to look at people that have posted on blogs you enjoy. I've found some great blog posts just by looking at who's following blogs I've read. There's a lot of great stuff out there.

If you find any other tools you like to use to find blogs let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment